Ha Giang, Vietnam – September 15 to 25, 2016
Global Health Reach is pleased to announce a medical mission trip to Vietnam from September 16, 2016 to September 24, 2016. Volunteers will work with under-served communities in the Ha Giang province, located in far Northern Vietnam near the China border.
Mission Trip Summary
Volunteers will have the unique opportunity to live and work with four local H’mong communities in Ha Giang. This population, while only representing a mere 15% of the entire population of Vietnam, also represent 39% of the population that is below the poverty line. They face many health issues that GHR is hoping to address:
- Limited access to preventative health care – health care services are only sought when problems become an emergency.
- Insufficient means to pay for health care – patients often are too poor to transport themselves to a hospital, pay for food, and purchase drugs or supplies that are not covered by the government-subsidized insurance.
- Substandard health care – if patients can pay for health care services, the quality and speed of care is drastically lower for patients covered under government-subsidized health care
- Insufficient health education – communities are not empowered with education to prevent common illnesses and to promote well being.
The team will quickly be immersed in the rich culture by staying with local H’mong families for two of the nights. The remainder of the nights will include hotel accommodations around Ha Giang city. While team members should not expect five-star luxuries, all of the basics will be covered!
Clinic Logistics and Details
Medical clinics will be conducted at four different H’mong communities in the mountainous region of Ha Giang, Vietnam (locations not disclosed due to security reasons). Volunteers will be given all supplies (equipment and medicine) necessary to provide medical services. Logistics (transportation, translators, food, water, etc.) is all handled by GHR so that volunteers can focus on the patients! We are expecting to see approximately 1,000 patients.
Vietnam Medical Mission Costs
To cover the costs of this trip, GHR requires a minimum donation of $1,750 (does not include air travel to and from Hanoi). This donation includes:
- Medical supplies and medicine for approximately 1,000 patients
- Private transportation in Vietnam (including airport pickup/drop-off at designated time)
- Translators for clinic
- 8 nights of lodging in Vietnam
- 3 meals a day
- Private hiking tour in Ha Giang
- Private tour of Hanoi
Want to extend your stay after the medical mission? That’s perfectly fine! Just let us know what your travel plans are and we’ll do our best to accommodate.
Ready to Apply?
Please fill out our ONLINE APPLICATION HERE
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions regarding the trip? Please complete the form below and we will reach out to you shortly!