Ha Giang, Vietnam – January 4-13, 2020
Global Health Reach will return on a medical mission trip to Vietnam. Volunteers will travel to rural villages near Ha Giang, Vietnam (located 7 hours North of Hanoi). GHR is excited to continue our services in a new village that we added in January, 2018.
Mission Trip Summary
Volunteers will have the unique opportunity to live and work with local H’mong communities in the Ha Giang region of Vietnam. This population, while only representing a mere 15% of the entire population of Vietnam, also represent 39% of the population that is below the poverty line. They face many health issues that GHR is hoping to address:
- Limited access to preventative health care – health care services are only sought when problems become an emergency.
- Insufficient means to pay for health care – patients often are too poor to transport themselves to a hospital, pay for food, and purchase drugs or supplies that are not covered by the government-subsidized insurance.
- Substandard health care – if patients can pay for health care services, the quality and speed of care is drastically lower for patients covered under government-subsidized health care
- Insufficient health education – communities are not empowered with education to prevent common illnesses and to promote well being.
This trip is not for the faint of heart, but for the more adventure-minded volunteers. GHR volunteers can expect an authentic experience, staying with the most gracious H’mong hosts and be treated to traditional tasty cuisine while staying in a local homestay. Homestays are clean and safe, but facilities are not typical of those found in the USA. The team will conduct four days of clinics at two locations, treating patients with a wide variety of conditions and educating them on sanitation best practices. These trips are perfect for pre-med students and other students looking to learn medicine, build character and push yourself to be a better you. . While team members should not expect five-star luxuries, all of the basics will be covered!
**PLEASE NOTE: these dates do NOT include travel time to and from Hanoi, Vietnam. Most volunteers from the USA typically add an additional day flying to and from Vietnam.
Medical clinics will be conducted at two different H’mong communities in the mountainous region of Ha Giang, Vietnam (locations not disclosed due to security reasons). Volunteers will be given all supplies (equipment and medicine) necessary to provide medical services. Logistics (transportation, translators, food, water, etc.) are all handled by GHR so that volunteers can focus on the patients! We are expecting to see approximately hundreds of patients.
Vietnam Medical Mission Costs
To cover the costs of this trip, GHR requires a minimum donation of $1,825 (does not include air travel to and from Hanoi). This donation includes:
- Medical supplies and medications
- Scrubs for volunteers
- Private transportation in Vietnam (including airport pickup/drop-off at designated time)
- Translators for clinic
- 9 nights of lodging in Vietnam
- 3 meals a day, bottled/filtered water
- Private cultural immersion tour in Ha Giang
- Private tour of Hanoi
Want to extend your stay before or after the medical mission? That’s a great idea! Just let us know what your travel plans are and we’ll do our best to accommodate.
Ready to Apply?
Please fill out our ONLINE APPLICATION HERE
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions regarding the trip? Please complete the form below and we will reach out to you shortly!